Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Ephilexia Interview

RavenzCraft Arts Interview with Gábor Károlyi 
of 
 EPHILEXIA





1st things first we just want welcome and thank you for being part of the RavenzCraft Arts interview project 2020
It is an honor and very interesting to meet unique artists like yourself..


1.So can you please introduce yourself, where you are from, and tell us a bit about your unique artists name "Ephilexia" and what it aims to express 


  Hey everyone and thank you for taking your time. I am Gábor Károlyi from Hungary.
 I always lived in a little village but currently I moved to a bigger city, Veszprém. I'm 24 years old and I play bass since 2008 when I was 13. To be honest, Ephilexia doesn't mean anything. 

When I was younger I had lots of ideas for future "djent" band names because I always wanted to be in a djent band. Ephilexia was the "best sounding" at that time and I used it as a nickname in video games. That's why you can find my name on other channels, which is not me, but they stole my nickname haha.





2.When did you first start seriously experimenting and creating music? 


2. In 2016, when I released the first Ephilexia. I had an acoustic guitar and MIDI keyboard only with some basses. MIDI keyboard was for modelling contrabass, this is what you can hear in my first album. It was a big milestone but I won't do that type of music anymore.


3.Can you explain a bit about the unique way you put together your music as ive seen it labled as math rock? Can you explain.


3. Ephilexia is started as a post-rock / ambient project, but as I was learning the guitar better, I realized math-rock can be really fun if it's not too much for the listeners.

 I bought a classic 1950's telecaster reissue so I started mixing the post-rock themes with math-rock vibe mainly tonally. Most importantly I use extra-clean guitar tone and I try to find a catchy riff in alternative tunings. 
I used FACGCE and DAEAC#E which are the most famous and beautiful emo/math tunings. These are used in bands like Tiny Moving Parts, American Football, Covet, This Town Needs Guns, etc... Very fun tunings but it takes some time to get used to it. 






4.Can you tell us what you use to create the unique sounds and sets in your music? 


Do you have any favorite software or instruments or brands you like to use that you have had good results with for creating music? 



4. I do everything in the opposite way if we talk about unique sounds. These bands often use clean or crunchy telecaster sound with clean bass. I use clean guitar only with destroying, driven bass tones. 
That's why the bass is so important in my songs. We have an ultra wide bridge between drums and guitars. We have the low end, but we also have the distorted, growly mid range so I don't need the rhythm guitar. 
2 telecasters together is the most beautiful thing in this world I think. For their clean tone I use a classic Line6 POD with jazzy setup.

 If I need some brightness I go to BIAS FX plugin but this is a rare option because I don't really like plugins. Bass is way more complicated. My chain is tube compression > Ampeg tube head simulation (Sansamp VT) > Mid punch EQ (Eden WTDI) > Distortion with cab simulation (Darkglass Alpha Omega Ultra). 
The last step is the reason for that growl you hear in my songs. I don't use too much distortion, maybe 20 or 30% maximum. The cab simulation in the last pedal is an old Ampeg bass cab from 1970. Best setup ever. 

 I use classic Fender basses as well. I have a few precision and jazz bass for different tunings and sounds. It depends on the song. I used one telecaster in my latest album but I used like 5-6 basses. Precision basses are for mid-punch (Dancing In The Coffin) and Jazz basses are for high-end saturation and more distortion (There Is A Ghost Behind You So I Would Run). 

Software I use is Cubase but I don't use too much plugins. Maybe a little EQ for final mix and limiter/maximizer for the best volume. Then I go for mastering with Ozone software. Nothing crazy at the final steps.





5.So this was all a bit complicated for me at first but i discovered that you are part of a very amazing crew of artists and musicians..

I know are the bassist for other music projects Silent Island and Realm Of Wolves and collaborate and are friends with another great musician
Istvan Csarnogurszky/Stvannyr, and also Ferenc Kapiller..you all are very talented ..

Can you tell us how you guys all 1st met and connected and came together to create all this amazing music? 





5. After a few years of playing in local bands I decided to step to some sort of solo project. This happened in 2016, when I was looking for post-rock bands to know how they do it exactly. I was listening to Black Hill for weeks when I noticed he's from Hungary. 

I wrote him a message and he was like "oh why don't you show me how you play, maybe you could join one of my project." - This is how current Silent Island was born. I bought the basic equipments for recording at home and started learning playing acoustic / electric guitar because playing bass is not enough for a post-rock solo project. We had some personal meetings but we work online.





6.Was it difficult at first to get your music out there ..did you have help from others to get things set up?..can you explain some things that were a challenge for you?.. and maybe some advice to other independent creators out there



6. The most challenging part is how to record yourself in good quality. I had 1-2 weeks when I was learning the softwares all day. István helped me a little at that time but I work as an IT guy so it wasn't a big deal. 

For others I'd suggest to watch a lot of YouTube videos about recording, that may help you the most and practice on the guitar all day! Another hard thing is to buy new equipments which is a lot of money for a beginner. I needed 3 years to get everything I need for the perfect sound I want.





7.I notice the artwork on your cover albums are very creative and seem to have a folklore mythology type theme to them...do you have interest in history, spiritually and mythology? 

If so do these inspire you to create music? 



7. Some of my covers are made by me. Just photographs from trips and I photoshopped them. I also had 2 Theodor Kittelsen covers. Those are kinda mythological but I'm not really into history or anything, I just liked the vibe of those paintings. 

My new cover art is from a Brazilian artist who created a custom cover while listening to the album. It was really personal this way and it truly has the vibe of the album. My true inspirations are from daily happenings. I had a lot of happenings in these years and those did most of the motivations. I think I should try to get inspiration from looking at paintings, good idea.








8.I have a question about how things have changed with how artists upload music to all the new apps and platforms,..
For example, Bandcamp, Spotify, YouTube etc..
Which one do you feel is the best for gaining awareness and monetizing etc..? 


8. For a little project like mine, I think Bandcamp is the best. I have a little but strong fan base and it's very good to analyze the album with them after the release. They are very supportive and nice. It's like a big family. YouTube is better for big projects like "Silent Island" where we can get enough views. 3rd place is Spotify but I don't really earn money from streaming platforms. 




9.What music do you personally listen to? Any favorite new albums or bands that are out that you really enjoy? 



9. I used to listen to "God Is An Astronaut", "If These Trees Could Talk" back in 2016, but I have to listen to my songs as well when I'm writing and recording the songs so nowadays I'd rather go with oldskool and modern metals. Some of them are: "Fear Factory, "Pulse Ultra", "Northlane", "We Came As Romans". Other favorite bands I mentioned before "American Football", "This Town Needs Guns" that I really love.




10.Any other hobbies ? 
Can you tell us what things you like to do in your city and area? Any places, clubs, bars or events you like to visit or go out to? 




10. My hobby is to play the bass to be honest. It takes a lot of time when creating music so after a new release I'll take a month long break when we go hiking nearby and hang out in pubs with my friends where we can discuss the album and the aftermath. In summer I visit some festivals but that's not really my thing.





11.Any plans or goals you are aiming for in the future? 
Where would you like to see your music and career in say 5 years ? 


11. I'm still planning to do a new sounding project beside Ephilexia. Maybe an ambient project...? I'm still not sure but I will do something else in the future. I hope we will reach some new people with Ephilexia because I love when I can help people with my music. 




12. RavenzCraft Arts also likes to bring together artists and inspire collaboration..Would you be open to collaborating with a vocal artist or another creator in the future on a special collaboration single track or project in the future? 



12. I think this is a good idea. I would join anyone for a song to see what happens when 2 different artists meet. 




13.I notice you have unique names for your albums such as"Pray for our parents" and "Sun please explode"
Do these titles mean something more and personal to you? Is there a deeper meaning behind your titles and music,? 


13.  Yes, there are different meanings. "A Pray For Our Parents" was a last-time-changed title because it wasn't that originally. My aunt got really sick at that time when I was recording the songs and she went out of this world within 2 months. Some of the songs and the title refer to her. 

We don't really love our parents enough until they gone. "Sun, Please, Explode" is a completely another theme. I had a lot of issues with people, friends... I don't really want to detail it, but sometimes I felt like people are fated to fail. There are so many bad people in this world who want you to fail without any reason. That's why I asked the Sun to explode. It sounds way more brutal this way, sorry. :)





14.So i have to say you are one of my new favorite instrumental artists out there alongside Stvannyr and Ferenc Kapiller ...it seems all 3 of you are very under rated and you do not get the credit and attention you deserve..
 all of your music is perfect and i cant believe it is not viewed and played more...

Is it your intention to sort of stay "underground" and attract a certain type of audience?  




14. I don't feel any inconvenience because of being an underground artist. This is the reason why the audience is so unique and intelligent. We're like true friends with the listeners without haters. I'm happy with the result but one day I also hope more people will listen to our music. 



15.Has your music been used or involved in other projects such as online games , short films, or any other projects before? Is that something you would be interested in? 


15. One of my secret purpose (not secret anymore) is to be in a video game or movie. There are so many good music in games and those artist are so underrated! One of my favorite is Akira Yamaoka who wrote the songs for Silent Hill games. uhuh a disturbing but awesome games those are.




16.So this last question is open for you to say anything you want to all the fans and followers and people that may read this interview..

Any closing statements or message you want to get out to the world?...



16. I just want to thank you for all the readers and listeners, I really appreciate any respect you gave to me for all these 3 years. I will do my best and try to give as many songs as I can in the future! Much love.



17.Well i just want to thank you again very much not only for taking the time to talk with us but for also creating amazing music...


To me "music is medicine" i use it to escape and relieve anxiety and clear my mind ..so i encourage you to keep creating music because you are very talented and we will be fans for life! ..





17. Thank you so much for your kind words I am very happy to hear when my music is someone's medicine.:) 


Gábor

////



Special thank you to Gábor for the interview and insight into his musical career..
Special thank you to Ferenc Kapiller and Istvan Csarnogurszky for creating such amazing music and leading us to discover Ephilexia! 


Follow and hear more music from Ephilexia here on bandcamp at 

Check out his new album Melancholia



Support Follow and Subscribe to RavenzCraft Arts for more updates and interview projects to come this season! 
Facebook


YouTube


No comments:

Post a Comment